Oh man. I tried this soup (courtesy of The Teenage Taste) last week and it was amazing. Not only did it taste super delicious, it’s also really healthy for you – which I love.
It’s weird. I’d never heard of Spinach Egg Drop Soup before reading Erika’s recipe for it, and now suddenly it keeps coming up all over the place! But, that always happens, doesn’t it? At least, to me, it does. Speaking of her recipe, you should really go check it out because (along with awesome pictures of the soup) there’s a funny story about her accidentally calling the cops on her grandmother!
I can’t recommend that you make this recipe enough. It’s so easy and it’s packed full of nutrition! You get the protein from the eggs plus the protein and other nutrient goodness from the spinach – and those are basically the only ingredients. I was actually kind of nervous about making Egg Drop Soup because it seemed so daunting. Chinese restaurants always make it look so fancy and hard to make! I was really surprised by how easy it ended up being.
I’m going to end up making this soup a lot.
Spinach Egg Drop Soup (Teenage Taste’s recipe)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, lightly packed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and saute the garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and turn heat to low; cook until spinach wilts.
- Add chicken broth and season with soy sauce, 2 tablespoons cheese, and black pepper. Mix together the water and cornstarch to form a slurry; stir into the chicken broth.
- Bring soup to a boil. While waiting for soup to boil mix together the eggs, egg whites, and remaining cheese. Once boiling turn off heat and add slowly add the egg mixture. After 30 seconds you may stir. Allow soup to sit for 5-10 minutes and serve.
Don’t want to waste those extra egg yolks? Try out my Perfect Scrambled Eggs!