Ever since I got my slow cooker, I’ve loved experimenting and making all sorts of things with it. This recipe below is definitely one of my most favorite things that I’ve used it for. Sweet and sour chicken!
Brent and I are huge fans of Asian cuisine. I’m constantly trying to come up with at-home versions of our favorite dishes. I don’t think I’ve actually ever ordered sweet and sour chicken at a Chinese restaurant, but I’ve tried it before and I have to say… I think this comes pretty darn close to the real thing!
If you love Asian food, too… check out some of my other Asian-inspired recipes!
- Peanut Chicken Stir-Fry
- Shrimp Pad Thai
- Orange Beef
- Spicy Garlic Chicken w/ Vegetables and Rice
- Shanghai Noodle Stir-Fry
- Vegetable Moo Goo Gai Pan
Another thing that I love about this dish is that I was able to make it a much healthier version than what you would get in a restaurant. I used chicken breast instead of chicken thighs, Trop50 instead of real orange juice, and Splenda instead of sugar. Not only that, but there’s vegetables! I only put bell peppers and pineapple for the fruits and veggies in this batch, but I think it would be great with maybe some peas and broccoli, too.
Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken
(Recipe by Miranda Mowbray, Biting Life)
Ingredients (serves 3):
1 can of pineapple chunks in juice, drained (I only used about 3/4 of the can)
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp soy sauce
Cooked white rice (I used about 1 1/2 cups uncooked)
- Consume at least 100g of protein. Check! I got 113g of protein yesterday.
- Consume at least 20g of fiber. Check! I got 50.6g of fiber. I’ve been doing great with this one lately! I can’t believe that, at one point, I was having trouble getting just 20g.
- Get at least 4 servings of fruits/veggies. Check! I got 4.7 servings.
- Drink at least 100 oz. of water. Check!
- No more than one treat/dessert. Check! I didn’t even have a treat yesterday.
- Do stretches/leg exercises. Check!